Do you know the cartoon Wildfire?
Last week Thursday, while reading I found myself humming, then singing the theme song of the cartoon. My boyfriend asked the name of the song which I was eager to share, he insisted he had never heard of the cartoon, which I thought was completely ridiculous, he had to know Wildfire. Every Jamaican child who grew up in the 1990s had to know this cartoon and a host of other rebroadcasts of American cartoons and TV shows from the eighties. So I turned to YouTube to prove my point and I found a video of the Wildfire theme song and intro, yes he knew the cartoon.
We then delved into a lively nostalgic reverie of fav cartoons and TV series. So I decided to make a list and share, at first I thought of five favourites, then 10, and as the weekend started, the list grew, so whatever number is in title, these are my top fav TV shows and cartoons of my childhood.
- Wildfire – I loved this cartoon. A magical talking horse, a princess, an amulet that can open a magical portal into a new dimension. This cartoon ran from September 13 – December 13, 1986. I was born October, 1987 and this cartoon was very popular when was around seven years old.
- Scooby Doo Mysteries
- The Famous Jett Jackson
- Lime Tree Lane- Sadly this is the only Jamaican TV show on my list.
Lime Tree Lane, which was on JBC TV (later TVJ) from 1988 to 1997, followed the lives of people in the fictional Jamaican community. The show from what I can recall centred around themed storylines that seem to highlight some moral message of community, respect and courtesy with humour. This show launched the careers of may Jamaican actors and is probably beloved by many Jamaica for simply being a Jamaican TV show at a time when we were not used to seeing ourselves on TV.
- Family Matters
- Law and Order – from the original series, to SVU, and Criminal Intent, I loved it all.
- Rags to Riches
- Johnny Bravo
- Star Trek: The Next Generation– I lived for this on Saturday nights.
- Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Lizzie McGuire
- Home Improvement
- The Proud Family
- Even Stevens
- The Bold and the Beautful- Yes it is a soap opera and I had no business watching it and I actually was not allowed to watch it. What I can recall is the the soap came on at around 8:30 each night on JBC (now TVJ) and I was sent to bed. But the layout of the bedroom that I shared with my cousin, we could easily see the TV from her bed and so we watched. I remember believing that Hunter Tylo who played Dr. Taylor Hayes Forrester, had to be the most beautiful women in the world. Another reason why representation and diversity on TV matters
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Cow and Chicken
- Murder, She Wrote– perfect cozy mystery series, that remember watching with my grandmother.
- The Nanny
- Between The Lions
- The Wonder Years
- Boy Meets World
- Absolutely Fabulous
Happy Sunday! What are some of your favourite TV shows and cartoons from when you were growing up? Did any of them make my list?